Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mossy Budda


Mossy Budda, originally uploaded by mhall209.

This is taken in Harry's yard. I don't know if it is supposed to be budda or not, but it seemed like a good name. Harry is an older asian artist (anyone older than me is considered by me as older) who has become a sort of mentor for my son Steven. Harry is considered by many as the "Master Potter" of the area, and Steven loves potterey. In fact it turns out that Harry went to school with one of Steven's current professors. Small world.

I took this shot while at Harry's house of the opening of a kiln. The opening of a japanese wood fired kiln is an interesting event. The results are unpredictable and it is fun to see the anticipation on the artists faces as they first open the kiln and then layer by layer remove the work. Each piece removed carefully and lovingly, like it is a new born child. I have never seen anything like this process. And this budda sits on a little hill overlooking the whole process. Its just too cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment