Friday, January 8, 2010

Papas


Papas, originally uploaded by mhall209.

We did some harvesting at school this week. Well, actually, I sat in my room while students did some harvesting. The potatoes were killed by frost just before our winter break, so this week the students went out to see if the plants lived long enough be harvested.

They did. We have lots of potatoes. Huge potatoes, and so far I can identify three different types. I wasn't involved when these potatoes were planted last year. In fact, I think these are leftovers that just appeared from unharvested potatoes last fall. Pretty cool freebies.

I am reading the book "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer, and as a result I am rethinking my diet. I had decided a while ago to try to eat less meat and more fruits and vegetables, but this book has really got me thinking about what I eat, why I eat it, and where it comes from. (Warning- if you really love eating meat, and don't want disturbing images in your head about where the meat comes from, don't read this book!) I think I will be eating a lot more of these potatoes in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment