Thursday, July 15, 2010

At Work


Trim, originally uploaded by mhall209.

We were in San Francisco today to visit the de Young Museum, to see the exhibit "Masterpieces of the Musee d'Orsay". This pare of the exhibit was called "The Birth of Impressionism" It was very cool, and I saw a number of works from the beginnings of the Impressionist movement. These pieces are usually in a museum in Paris, France, but due to a renovation they hit the road, and I really enjoyed seeing them.

After the exhibit we wandered around the rest of the museum and the Japanese Garden next door. While in the Japanese garden it struck me that the pieces in the "Masterpieces" show that I really liked were images of working people. There were a number of unattributed etchings of people doing manual labor. I decided that I need to do a project about working class people. So here is the start of that study.

No comments:

Post a Comment