Friday, March 5, 2010

The Vet Shack


The Vet Shack, originally uploaded by mhall209.

This old miners shack is along the highway in front of out vet's office. We drive by it regularly, and have for years. I didn't notice it until someone placed a geocache there and now the shack seems right out in the middle of everything. I never found the geocache. Even when the owner gave me a hint, telling me exactly where it is. I know the spot within inches, but cant find it. The woman who put it there makes some purely evil geocaches!

This is one of many many old miners shacks in the area that date back to the late 1800's. Some, like this one, are rather anonymous. Others have a known history, like Mark Twains cabin over on Jack Ass Hill. He stayed there when he wrote the short story "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County."

I really like the way the old shacks appear in the medium format camera I used here, and I think I will make a concerted effort to capture more of these shacks while they are still standing.

No comments:

Post a Comment