Sunday, April 4, 2010

Stevens teapot


Anagama teapot, originally uploaded by mhall209.

Our son Steven came home for spring break. Sort of. He is a student at San Francisco State, majoring in art. I don't know if pottery is his specific major, but that is where he spends much of his time, and he is really really good at it. (Proud dad talking.) So he came home but he had a pit fire during part of the break and an anagama firing during another part of the week. Both of these are old school wood fueled processing for finishing pottery.

First was the pit fire. He came home with these amazing ceramic bottles he had made. Each about 15 inches high, and they looked like they were made out of agate. They are amazing.

Then, yesterday, he came home with these tea pots that were put in an anagama kiln. The pictures don't do them justice. They are incredable. I suggested that all of these pieces would look really good in his parents' house. He said that that may be true, but his professor wants to see them as well. "Well who do you love more" I asked? "Well I do need a grade Dad."

So he went back to school this afternoon, but it seems he forgot the tea pots. Gives me a chance to work on my product photography. I know, I need to do a lot of work on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment