Monday, June 14, 2010

Mission Fountain


Mission Fountain, originally uploaded by mhall209.

Another image from our recent trip to the California Central Coast, and the Mission San Miguel. One of the things that fascinates me about the California Missions is the ancient relics that are being maintained on a shoe string budget while the mission is still used as a functioning church and museum. This results is a really interesting blend between relic and function.

I am sure that the original missions had a water feature in the courtyard, but I think it would have been more functional than this one. Ornamental cattails would have been little use to the mission residents. I am sure they did not have a fountain with a stone ball in the top with water pumped through it. But for today, it is pretty.

And just so I don't sound too negative, hats off to all the people who work really hard to keep these old places open to the public. I really enjoy visiting and learning from them. And thanks for not chasing me off on a Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment