Friday, August 6, 2010

Gas Tank


Gas Tank, originally uploaded by mhall209.

OK, you got me. I didn't take this shot today. I know, the green field and cloudy sky was your clue. This time of year the skys are clear, and the fields are, well, brown. So I have been shooting more film lately, using mostly a medium format camera. The problem with that is there is only one camera shop around within an hours drive. And they are not very punctual. They tell me the film will be ready on Tuesday. But they never tell me which Tuesday. I assume they mean next Tuesday, but apparently no. It takes a while to get the film back. So my photo a day means I will post a photo a day, not necessarily one I shot that day. Hey, its my blog, I get to make the rules!

So this old tractor was shot a few weeks ago. OK, it was shot back in June. Maybe May. But I just got the film back. I told you it was a slow process.

I like the slow process when shooting the film. It makes me slow down and think. Whats the light like? What speed is the film in the camera? Can I even shoot in these conditions with this film? With my digital cameras I can change the ISO and be good to good. Can't do that with film. And then do I really like the framing? Hows the focus? Is the aperture right? I mean it costs about a dollar each time I click the shutter, and I have to wait several weeks to get the image, so I really want to be sure it is right. I have to say I have a much higher success rate with film then digital. I like about 75% of the shots I take with film. Probably close to 1% with digital.

No comments:

Post a Comment